Detailing an HO downtown scene

My large downtown area has had buildings for years, but no sidewalks, vehicles, people or anything else that would indicate someone might actually live and work there. It was time to change that! I started by focusing on one of my Walthers merchant row sections and got to work detailing signs, interiors and adding people. I didn't take any work-in-progress shots, so here are some final shots with some notes about what I did.

A view down the street toward the buildings. The sidewalks aren't finished and I have too many sports cars, but it's a start. The building on the left also needs to be detailed.

For the corner, I made it an IGA. I looked up grocery ads from the 1960s and made my own promotional posters using prices from my research. I added some Funaro/Carmalengo (or whatever) trash cans near the back. I have a man carrying some sacks of something from the side door toward the front. A woman has exited her fancy little car to pick up some groceries before heading home.

Another view, this time you can see more of the front. There's nothing upstairs other than a view block I covered in brick paper, which turned out to be unnecessary because it's too dark to see anything.

I used a WS farm market set to complete the scene in the front. The workers are still bringing out items as a woman inquires about apples.

The other two stores I made into a men's clothing shop and a TV/electronics store. I covered the windows of both using vintage ads. An older couple comes out of the men's shop, having failed to find a new sweater that fits him right. I used a similar method for the TV Land store. These give a period feel and hide a cavernous interior that is not in a good position for detailing (no good viewing angle.) I added window shades using a manila folder cut and taped to the interior windows.

An example of one of the ads I used.
Now, I have one small section of my large city detailed and every time I look at it, I'm inspired to do more...if I just had the time.

Comments