HO scale chemical plant




This is my Caitlin Chemical facility. It's a very busy location on the layout with an average of 2-4 tank cars coming in per day to either load or unload, depending on the commodity. The back drop has big tank farms on it, and this is supposed to represent one of the loading facilities of a much larger plant.

This first shot shows the whole thing mocked up. The building is a Walthers kit, as is the long platform. All the big tanks are PVC coupling sections with a piece of styrene super glued for a top. I rearranged all the components until I was happy with how everything looked. The fencing I just stuck down into the foam.



Once I was happy, I outlined the fenced area with a marker and removed everything.



I used mainly cinders to represent the very environmentally unfriendly confines of a 1960s oil and chemical transfer station. I sprinkled a little ground color around the edges to give it a little character. The white you see in the picture is the glue that hasn't quite dried yet.



I put the fencing back in next. I used some decals from the Walthers kit to give it a little character. Note the gap in the fence -- it will be blocked by the building, so why waste it?




Then it was just a matter of putting all the buildings and details back. I dressed up my PVC tanks using more decals from the Walthers kit plus made some basic walkways and ladders to go with them. Here are the finished shots.








I have three workers (Preiser figures) that I still need to put in place, and I'm still working on the look of the dirt road that runs in front of the fence, but other than that, this is complete.



Comments