HO scale brewery detailing


I already had a DPM Terra Surplus building that I was using as a brewery before I built the RJ Frost kit to supplement it. The only thing I hadn't done was detail out the open areas that you could see in -- I have a bad habit of leaving doors open to make things look like they are places of employment and such. If you want to greatly speed up your kit building, then model Sunday afternoon when everything is closed up. Detailing takes a lot of time.

Anyway, I started with the open dock door that is on the side of the building but is the main viewing angle. It will have a dock in front of it with a ramp leading down so forklifts and tow motors can move between the warehouse and cold storage building next door. I had a leftover tow motor I didn't use for the Cleveland Freight Transfer building, so I figured I would place that right inside the door. 
Then I got the idea to use the same colors and signage from the building to turn it into cases of stacked beer. I took the King Arthur Ale sign and scaled down the artwork until it was on a rough grid with alternating rows. I then printed it out on the computer. I also had some yellow brickwork that I had printed out for another project to put behind it, because the cases of beer weren't quite high enough to hide the rest of the interior if someone looked in. 

I made a simple stand to glue the 2D beer cases and the wall to. Here's the end result. The flash really makes everything look kind of bad -- trust me, it looks better in bad lighting. But who doesn't?



I also had a big outside loading dock that is partially obscured by the building's profile. So I decided I would place the bulk of the details on the far end where someone might see them. You can also see into the open loading dock door, so I needed to put some detail there too. I had a bunch of Preiser beer barrels left, so I decided someone had ordered some old school barreled beer for their weekend party. The helpful staff has already placed them out in the hot sun, ready for pick up.





I already had some interior details done in the building's tower, because it was too easy to see in and as this was one of my first buildings ever, I wasn't smart enough to either paint the windows black or put some window shades in. I used a stack of barrels and such to block one window, and in the lower floor (which you can't see at all in the photo thanks to the focus/flash), there's a man with a handtruck pushing some stacks of beer bottle racks and also another stack of 2D beer cases (hey I printed 'em out, might as well use them). It does a nice of job of making it look occupied while also hiding the rest of the interior.


I also did a bigger scene inside of the fat part of the building. There are a few tanks (pvc couplings) with some piping running around. It's not very detailed because I wasn't sure how much you could see -- the answer is hardly any of it. If you really peer in, you can something is going on in there, but I'm glad I didn't go crazy with it. There's no photo of this, because you can't see it.

Next up came the outside. I wanted all kinds of piping and tanks running around. I don't know how real beer is made, but two-dimensional beer takes a very special (and secret) process. I think the mock up says "we're brewmasters from the old country, now get out of the way so we can drink." This was before any of the tanks were painted and weathered. Or the roof was painted. Or the USA lost the gold medal hockey game to Canada. Bitches.


Here are some shots with the brewery in place with all the details done. Ignore the brown patch next to the building. That's the start of the parking lot and road, and that's a different post -- and you aren't allowed to look at it yet. Especially if you are Canadian. Bitches.





Here's a shot of the entire complex. Think how much beer is going to be brewed here. Good luck unloading those hoppers onto the freight dock. Someone is going to be doing a lot of shoveling.


I just noticed that some Canadian engineer left an old junker gondola sitting out on the mainline. That's going to put a crimp on the old train schedule. Maybe we'll just fill it up with beer and swim in it. Try doing that in Canada.

Until next time, take off hoser.
(No Canadians were harmed in the making of this post. Besides, after winning gold, none of them will sober up until about mid-June anyway. Bitches.)

Comments