More buildings

My buildings in Cleveland continue to rise. The next structure is a double front set of office buildings that I had finished the fronts for last year. The black foamcore has been working very well as a basis for these fronts, so I continued to use them here. I took some basic measurements of the building fronts for height, and then measured how much space I wanted them to take up on the layout. I then cut walls out of foamcore and glued them together using yellow wood glue.



I then test fit the fronts to make sure I had measured everything right. For once, I had.



The sides of the buildings would be exposed in some places where they were taller or longer than the building before it. I cut Walthers brick sheet and glued it to these areas.



Here's another shot of the brick sides with some of the roof detail set in place.



The backs will be hidden unless someone leans way out around the buildings to take a peek. So I printed out some brick textures on my printer and cut them to fit. I used Evan Designs Model Builder software.



I added some styrene angle and painted it concrete to hide the corners.




Here you can see the roof details -- most are either Walthers roof vents or leftover DPM parts. Roof details are probably more important than the front, because people are looking down at these buildings, so it's the first thing they see.



To get the pipe vents in, I took an Xacto blade, pierced the foamcore's top surface, spun it around a few times, then inserted the pipe right into the roof.



I glued the building fronts to the foamcore using grey caulk. It seems to hold well and any smears end up looking like HO scale tar, so it works out nicely.



Here's a shot of the completed building on the workbench:



And here are two shots of the building in place in Cleveland:



Comments