Weathering a Proto 1000 F3 for the CBQ

I decided my Proto 1000 CBQ F3s were too clean looking and I was in the mood for some weathering, so here's what I did.

First, I looked up a few pictures online to see how the real thing weathered, which is always helpful. I used three Pan Pastel colors -- a dark brown, light brown and a rust color. I applied the dark brown (I would have used black if I had it) to the grill areas on the side and the fans on top to give it depth. I used the lighter brown as a dust color on the front and along the sides, per the prototype, including rubbing some extra on the molded on grabs to give them a little more depth. The rust color went on the trucks. I spent probably 15-20 minutes on this. The finished product is below, with an unweathered shell for comparison -- so #116 looked like #120 to start.

The finished product below. Looks like it's actually be out earning revenue now.

The top -- probably could have used a black wash to get more depth on those fans rather than relying on the chalk, but it worked out OK.

On the rails back at the shop next to its cleaner sisters, which was short-lived. I liked the way this looked so well that I immediately weathered the A-A lashup of #120. I went a little lighter, but used the same basic patterns.
I have six P1K engines on my layout, all with DCC added. They run very well. The shells may not be as detailed, but I like them a lot.

Comments