HO scale yard remodel -- part 2

Here's an update on the remodel of the Cleveland HO scale yard. I now have all the track installed and nailed down. I had to do a little bit of adjustment to the track positions to get everything to fit, but I think my clearances are all good. I've drilled the holes at the locations where I want feeder wires and have dropped the feeder wires through, so the next step is the soldering.

Looking toward the roundhouse. 

Closer view of the diamond area. I'm probably replacing the shop along the backdrop with something scratchbuilt, but haven't decided yet.

Another view of the diamond area. Yellow tabs marked where I wanted feeder wire. The colored tabs on the cars will help me resort them once the yard reopens for business. They essentially keep all the strings of cars marked so I don't end up with a giant mess. There are a few in the yard for testing clearances and such.

Alien octopus attacks!

Roundhouse area. The tank is just sitting on top to get it out of the way - it's not part of the model.

And a view looking from the roundhouse toward the end of all the tracks.
Once I solder the feeder wires to the track, I'll connect them to the bus wire under the layout with the suitcase connectors. Next I'll test all the lines and make sure I don't have any deadspots or areas where engines stall. I may need to solder some rail joints together, depending on performance. You can't always rely on joiners to conduct electricity well.
After that, I can re-ballast the whole thing and add the other scenery in. I'm very excited to be rid of the old junky turnouts (replaced with Peco ones, which I use throughout the layout) and the sections of always-dirty brass track that made up part of the old layout.

Comments