HO scale buildings


Here's an update on some recent building progress. First up is West Side Scrap. This goes across the street from Sam & Ella Cafe and will have a fairly large fenced area with a rail spur, plus some sort of crane for loading/unloading. 
It's a DPM Cuttings Scissor kit with some (mostly) Walthers items on the roof.




My printing plan occasionally gets a tank-car load of chemicals and I wanted to install some sort of little platform that illustrated that such a thing would be possible. I cobbled this together out of leftover parts. I think the platform is from Champion Packing, the piping is from a Walthers oil platform kit and the steps/rail is Central Valley. The little control panel is a plaster piece from the Castle Molds site (I buy the sci-fi pack and use the bits for interior machinery and controls -- in this case, I added a wheel from the Walthers piping set.)




Here it is painted. I neglected to take shots of it in place next to the tall vertical tank, but it looks really nice.




Here's the last major build on Chicago's West Side. It's Chicago Tool. The kit was too long to fit the space, so I didn't add the tower section on the back side, which necessitated cutting the roof down and then creating a fake part along the back. I used the part of the roof I cut off to create the wall.






I've since added a bunch of roof details, but forgot to take pictures. Here's how I got the look: I spray painted the whole thing Testor's Desert Tan. I used a Prismacolor design marker (Terra Cotta was the color) and colored in the brick areas. I then highlighted some random bricks black using another Prismacolor marker, then I coated the whole thing in black tempera paint. Once dry, I wiped off most of it with a damp paper towel. This black coat tones down the desert tan into something that looks like aged concrete and gives the bricks a much heavier weathered look.
The building backs up to the backdrop (almost, there are two tracks the run behind it) so I'll use the back sections as a flat somewhere else. Never use pieces that no one will see! Save them for use elsewhere!

Comments