How to assemble HO scale fencing

Because a lot of my layout is industrial, I use a lot of fencing, mostly the Central Valley brand. Here are a couple of tips for assembling long sections of it for your layout.

I had a long section that was approximately four complete pieces of the CV fencing. To give it some stability, I wanted to reinforce it a bit. The other thing I sometimes do is install it upside down, with the legs pointing up in the air. Why? Because it gives the impression there may be barb wire (or have been at some point) strung over the fence. As a result, I need another way to attach the fence to the landscaping.
After putting a bead of glue along the edge of each fence section, I butted them together on the workbench, then added a barrel to give a little more stability and create a way to hold the fence up on the landscape.

Here are a few photos:




I put one barrel between each section. The fences are painted with a light coat of Delta Ceramcoat Quaker Gray. I don't even try to get even coverage, because it gives a nice weathered look.




There are three barrels one one side, and I stuck one in a random location on the other side to help keep it from tipping over. The inside faces a large truck parking lot, so the barrels could be trash cans or just random junk that accumulates in those industrial back lots.

Comments