HO scale scenery

Here's the latest layout update. I was primarily focusing on getting the Sam & Ella Cafe placed on the layout and the scenery done around it. A friend of mine gave me the building some time ago, but I just now found a permanent home for it. I had a spot between two industries that I wasn't sure what to put there -- so decided this would be the perfect place for a little greasy spoon restaurant. The house has been overtaken by the industry around it and was converted to commercial use.

The building was on a base, so I had to blend it into the scenery. I basically just glued it down, then used my normal scenery methods to landscape around it and up onto the base to blend it in. I put down a coat of acrylic paint, then start sprinkling various layers of ground foam onto it, followed by a diluted white glue mix to hold it in place.

For the back of the building, I added some random junk to blend it in better with the gritty urban area nearby.





It features a good-sized gravel lot. I'll add in some cars and maybe a delivery van or truck later.



I also added a bunch of scraggily trees and weeds around the building. The area behind it ended up becoming a vacant lot, so the weeds are on the march.



Here's an aerial view before I completed the back lot.



Mmm, mmm. Another satisfied customer leaves the building only to find his car stolen. Such is life in the big city.




Here's the back lot area. I used my homemade static grass applicator with layers of ground foam sprinkled in, then added more scraggily trees. The stream is still wet, which is why it looks white. It should dry clear (it's gloss modge podge). Parts of the scenery look a little white too because the diluted glue wasn't dry yet when I took the photos.





A streetside-view.



Note the long fence along the industry on the left? That's the one from the earlier fence blog post.

Comments