How to make a blackbird caboose for the CB&Q

Train season is officially started and I'm glad to be back.

I had a shortage of CB&Q cabooses for my layout and didn't really like any of the options on the market. They were either completely wrong or way too much money. When I was digging through my supplies, I found an undecorated Bowser caboose. I decided to make my own fictional caboose based on the very cool blackbird scheme. To my knowledge, the CB&Q never had a caboose in this scheme, so everything was conjecture on my part.

I started by painting the undecorated caboose flat black.



Then I started playing around with how I wanted the decals placed.



I wanted to spray the gray stripe, but I didn't have any spray paint, so I just brush painted it.


Let's test those decals again...OK, looking good.


Final product.


Looks pretty cool with a CB&Q blackbird engine, eh?



Comments