HO scale train layout details -- an update

This is a collection of miscellaneous updates and pictures, primarily from the East Side of Chicago. I've been spending a lot of time installing the Kancali street sections. These are thin latex rubber and work very well. I'm happy with how they look thus far.

Here's a shot of the first painted section of Kancali streets between the Dixie-Max Bottling plant and Fluid Dynamics. It's just a test fit at this point. These two sections I painted at the workbench, but for the rest of them, I decided I could blend them better if I installed them then painted them on the layout (despite the stress on my back leaning over the layout to paint them).



Here's the rest of the Kancali streets -- the grey is the color they come in.


The Kancali streets make the turn between the buildings (and you can see both Heritage Furniture and Andrews Mfg. from the previous posts in their spots). They have not been cut to fit yet.


A view from the end of the peninsula over the incomplete stockyards.


This is from the other side (West Side of Chicago) of the peninsula with the roads roughed in so I could figure out how much roadway I was going to have left.


That's the back of the Heritage Furniture building with the mock up of the Windy City Biscuit plant next to it. I'll change the ground level of those City Classics kits to freight doors/docks somehow.


The front of Windy City Biscuit.


I'm not sure about the little DPM building there just yet. It's another left over from another part of the layout in a previous incarnation.

The streets are now glued down and the painting has begun. I use Delta Ceramcoat paints. The first coat is Red Iron Oxide; the second coat is Black Cherry. Then I water down some black and rub it around in some random patterns.


The Red Iron Oxide coat is down...(the power house is just there to get it out of the way).


Note the difference between the finished section to the right and the not-done sections to the left.


Here's a shot from the other side looking back across with most of the buildings removed. The tan spots are concrete pads for the loading dock areas for the buildings.


Other than finishing the streets, I've also started ballasting the track in front of Fluid Dynamics and Caitlin Chemical. My goal for this season is to finish the East Side of Chicago, which includes the Chicago yard area (not shown in this post). With the streets down, that anchors everything to its final position, so I can proceed accordingly. I don't have any other major buildings to construct for this side of the layout, so I expect things to move somewhat quickly. I'll need to weather the powerhouse and fix the stockyards for Champion Packing, and I have some flats to put together for the Chicago yard area, but most of the work is mainly ballast and putting down ground cover.

Comments