How to detail an HO factory

This is a large factory on my HO scale layout that I've dubbed Fluid Dynamics. It makes water pumps, impellers and other related parts. It's one of the largest buildings on the layout and has multiple loading docks, though only one is served by rail.
I don't have any construction pictures of the actual shell, because I built it many years ago. It's roughly based on a plan by Art Curren published in MR back in Jan 2000 (I think). I've been using the main peninsula plan in that article for the basis of "Chicago" on my layout. The building has been sitting on the layout patiently waiting its turn, which finally arrived. The pictures that follow chronicle my finishing of the building.

These shots are of the shell sans windows and finished roof. I use black foamcore for almost all my roofs now. It cuts easy, supports weight and is a nice flat black.



The back of the building -- because the building acts like a view block, the back is a different set of businesses. The front is Fluid Dynamics, but the back is partly Von Glahn Diesel and partly Windy City Biscuit. The big opening on the left is blocked by Delta Foods. The opening on the right is the future home of Windy City Biscuit.


The rows and rows of windows that I painted the glass black for. I think there were something like 120 windows in this sucker.


Windows are now in.


The roof sections are now finished. A neat tidy building. Sorry, not for me. This is supposed to be an old factory on Chicago's west side. It's going to need some work. It also looks like an apartment building.


Note the long section of roof in the back. I had to do it in two sections because the cut was too complicated. I'll hide the gap later...



First, I put a large view block between the two towers. I used corrugated metal siding to scratch build the box shape and then added some potential details to make it look like some sort of big cooling unit.



Not bad...

Another view with a dust collector added to one of the sub roofs.



Now we slop on the white tempera paint and wipe off most of the excess, leaving a faded painted brick look. On the left we have the paint slopped on; on the right we have the pristine building.



The final effect after you wipe off most of the paint.


This building has a lot of docks and thus interior detail. It's a main focal point for that section of the layout, so I wanted a lot of things to look at.




Which button makes this $#@! thing run?


Off to the cafeteria for some coffee...


The final product with various plaster details, Walthers ladders and Sodders vent pipe and dust collector. The signs are printed from my computer and glued to the building with white glue, then weathered.







And the back of the building...







The row of equipment is conveniently hiding the gap in the roof. I used slightly different paint schemes on each side.


Normally, I take the final pics on the layout, but the area is currently being worked on and I want to move this building as few times as possible, so it stays on the workbench until the area around it is finished.

Comments