New control shelf

I've been toying around with how I want what looks to be one of the final city buildings to look, but in the meantime, I decided it was time to get rid of my dilapidated shelf that holds my powerpack and Digitrax equipment.

The original shelf was only a couple of metal angle brackets that I had screwed into the side of the layout and then screwed a short plank section to. It wasn't very sturdy and was short on space.

I forgot to take some "before" pictures this time, but if you look in the background of this shot, you can see the short shelf holding the power pack.



Now take a look at its double-decker replacement:







There's now room for my programming/cleaning track, the powerpack (it powers the turntable and the accessories) and the Digitrax DB150. On the right side, I glued a couple of pieces of square poplar to act as a ledge to lean car cards against near the layout, and use as a pencil stop at the bottom. This works a lot better than what I had before.

Why didn't I paint it you ask? Well, I'm still waffling as to what color I'll paint the edge of the layout. Some days I think grey, other days I think dark brown. I'm leaning toward dark brown, because then I think it will look like a cross section of the terrain. So for now, everything stays pine.

Comments