Throwing paper bricks through glass windows

My next building attempt was using the paper printouts as before, but this time adding in the plastic "glass" to give all the windows a shiny appearance and hopefully give them a little more depth.

First, I designed all the building walls using the Model Builder program and then printed them out. I also cut pieces of black foamcore to glue the paper walls to.



Next, I cut out the "insides" of the window -- basically where the panes would be. I place the paper walls with the windows cut out on the foamcore and traced where the windows would be, then glued the insides cut out earlier onto the places I had traced.



With the window interiors glued down, I then glued the plastic "glass" over the window sections. I then repositioned the walls over the windows and glued them to the foamcore as well.




As you can see from this picture, the plastic glass gives the windows a more natural reflection and also a look that more closely resembles the nearby 3D models.



I then glued all the individual walls together using yellow wood glue.



When dry, I placed the model upside down on the foamcore and traced out a roof.




I put in a couple of supports (strips of foamcore) that were glued to the inside walls and glued the roof in place.



I printed out some more yellow bricks and glued thin strips of them on the wall corners to hide the seams. When you match the patterns, you don't even notice them. To hide the foamcore on the roof and wall tops, I printed out some red bricks in a vertical pattern and glued them along the top and inside edges of the roof.



Here's the completed roof trim:



I added a few roof details and put the building in place. The whole thing took about two evenings to complete, including measuring all the odd angles the building needed to fit the space.






Please leave a comment!

Comments

Unknown said…
Excellent work! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tutorial!