Braxton Building

The next structure I put together for downtown Cleveland was one I called "The Braxton Building" (just liked the name -- no resemblance to prototype). It's a basic City Classics structure, but I only used three walls because the fourth "wall" abuts the big hotel next door, so no sense in wasting a perfectly good brick wall that no one will ever see.
I glued plastruct angle along the roof line, then cut a piece of black foamcore for the roof itself and glued it to the angle. The "curtains" in the building were some left over printed out brick sheet from other projects. I turned them on edge, creating a nice 1960s looking pattern, and cut them in strips to fit the windows -- which also helps hide the empty interior. I printed out some signs on my computer for Anne's Bakery (named after my sister-in-law) and taped them to the windows. I also used Scotch tape over the remaining door glass to give it a frosted glass look and also to hide the interior.
I used the included black and white interior print out and taped it to the back following the instructions. I was skeptical, but it actually works out well because the building can't be viewed close up from the rear. It's just enough "clutter" to give the impression that there's something inside.
The brick on the building was achieved using colored art markers and doses of chalk to dirty things up. I added my usual assortment of vents for visual interest on the roof.



















Comments

Unknown said…
These are really impressive. I'm also building a fairly large urban area and wanted to try my hand at printed buildings. You've given me hope that it can indeed be doen and made to look as good from 3' as any other building. Do you print the walls on "Best" mode?
I have an Epson Workforce 600 -- a pretty decent inkjet printer. I print on "text and image" mode, but I don't know what that translates to as far as other printers. I had been using a low-end Lexmark and was not all that satisfied with the results. If you have a good inkjet, you can get good results.